Out of Home Care Program
South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation (SCMSAC) Out-of-Home Care (OOHC) program is accredited by the Office of the Children’s Guardian.
We support foster care placements for children and young people aged 0-18 years.
We have offices in Nowra, Bateman’s Bay and Bega and we support foster care placements in the Shoalhaven and down the far South Coast to the Victorian border.
Caseworkers in partnership with our authorised Foster Carer’s provide support services to children that are unable to live safely with their birth families. We strive to ensure that children and young people are in a safe, well-functioning, stable placement and are developing to the best of their potential.
All children and young people have an annual case conference where they are placed at the centre of the planning process, it is coordinated by the caseworker and involves all key people in the child or young person’s life. A case plan is developed at the case conference and goals are agreed upon that include:
- We review the arrangements for birth family contact and develop a contact schedule
- We review where the child or young person is currently at with their education and work with schools and teachers in the development of Individual Learning Plan
- We arrange remedial education measures if children or young people have identified deficits or are falling behind
- We look at the child or young person’s current health status and plan for any health issues that have been identified
- Ensure all children and young people have an annual health check including dental and optical reviews
- We develop annual cultural support plans for all children and young people to ensure they maintain their culture, identity and heritage
- We review the child or young person’s current placement and ensure it is flexible and is effectively meeting the needs of the child or young person
- We plan for all foreseeable financial contingencies for the year in line with organisational policy
- Where there have been identified behaviour issues or the administration of Psychotropic medication to children and young people we seek guidance and support from our Psychologist in the development and implementation of behaviour Support Plans
- For young people who are 15 years and older we complete a living skills assessment to ascertain their current skill level and we develop plans inline with outcomes
- Utilising Leaving Care Planners we implement Leaving Care Plans and develop living skills in readiness for when young people turn 18 and leave the care of the Minister