SAL Consulting and South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation are collaborating to bring OOHC carers a special training event.
This one-day course is designed for carers supporting children and young people who have experienced trauma, abuse and neglect. Participants will gain an understanding of the impact of trauma on physical and brain development in children and young people and the different ways in which trauma presents, including behaviours of concern and how they can be understood.
Understanding the neuro-developmental impact of trauma, what Positive Behaviour Support is all about, and learning the basic underpinning framework that provides support to children and young people with intensive behaviour support needs are essential skills for carers supporting a high needs foster care placement.
- Understanding the neuro-developmental impact of trauma
- Developing a profile of the child or young person
- Assessment of behaviour
- Formulation – thinking about the behaviour, the context and the support
- Understanding “The Box”
- Challenging incidents
- Behaviour Intervention Support Plans
- Ecological supports: routines, star charts, house rules and other tricky frameworks
Interested in attending?
Contact Carer Support – phone 4448 0200
This accredited course teaches adults how to assist Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people experiencing a mental health crisis or developing a mental health problem.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander social and emotional wellbeing mental health problems in communities.
- Mental health first aid strategies for working with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Depression, anxiety, psychosis & substance use.
- Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours, non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm), panic attacks, traumatic events, severe effects of drug or alcohol use, severe psychotic states and aggressive behaviours.
SESSION 1: Wednesday 11th November, 9am – 5pm
SESSION 2: Thursday 12th November, 9am – 5pm
(Participants must attend both sessions for accreditation)
LOCATION: Conference Room 3, Caledonia House Level 1, 59 Berry St Nowra
View the flyer: 20201111 AMHFA Flyer
Download registration form: 20201111 AMHFA Form