Assisting our Community to Address their Own Health Needs
The Chronic Care Support Program aims to support better access to specialist and allied health services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people identified as needing more complex chronic disease management.
To be eligible for care coordination under the program, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients must:
- be registered with Medicare
- have a current GP Management Plan and/or Team Care Arrangement
- be recommended (written referral) by their GP
- have been diagnosed with one or more of the targeted chronic diseases – cardiovascular
disease, respiratory disease, renal disease, cancer, diabetes.
The Care Coordinator is a health worker who can:
- arrange appointments specialist, allied health, exercise physiologist)
- arrange transport
- help clients follow their care plan (medication and compliance education).There is no cost to access the program.