- 1 x Full Time Position
- Located in Nowra
Walk with our clients on their health care journey. Our Health & Wellbeing team values a balanced approach to all needs of health care: Physical, Social, Emotional, Cultural and Spiritual.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE:30 June 2022
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Medical Social Worker will support the team of healthcare and wellbeing workers and use their expertise to provide personalized support to patients of every age. They will assist with the management of complex client care by providing quality service to Nurses, General Practitioners and Psychologists, Case Workers and assisting patients with the management of their related health needs which is not limited to Centrelink assessments, housing applications, court reports, etc. The Medical Social Worker will also assist clients with lifestyle changes and providing resources to encourage emotional growth and stability.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Conduct Psychosocial assessments on each client in need of greater supports considering their unique condition, combining data from medical diagnoses, personal interviews and professional knowledge to establish accurate picture of overall mental and emotional health
- Develop comprehensive plans to help patients adjust to medical diagnoses, including recommending support groups and lifestyle changes, and helping patients transition into and from personal healthcare management
- Provide necessary support for each patient according to health status, personal strengths and weaknesses, emotional state and additional factors
- Research local support groups and other resources to determine which ones are right for individual patients, taking into account eligibility requirements and treatment methodologies
- Evaluate services and resources provided to patients to determine effectiveness, and modify treatment plan and recommendations as necessary
- Follow up with patients to determine current state of mental and emotional health, provide required support and create relevant recommendations for changes to lifestyle and diet
- Maintain current knowledge of local resources and relevant medical research to provide best possible recommendation to patients
- Assist clients to complete client forms and relevant paperwork, including referrals, CTG and client registration forms.
- Assist in developing and delivering health education and training programs with particular focus on promoting good health.
- Maintain up to date training and professional development and registration with AASW to ensure the delivery of high quality, culturally safe health care in accordance with National guidelines and best practice
- Collect, collate and co-ordinate health statistics and other information that is useful in improving Aboriginal health and well-being and appropriate program development
- Represent SCMSAC with regard to health issues on relevant committees, working groups and community groups as directed
- Liaise with other work peers, government and non-government organisations doing similar work and ensure their participation in local, regional, state and Commonwealth education, preventative and support campaigns as directed
- Knowledge and commitment to the principals of and practices of WHS and EEO and how these apply in the workplace
- Comply with all SCMSAC Policies and Procedures
- Other duties as reasonably directed by the CEO or delegate
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL VACANCIES
Applications must address the key competencies (selection criteria): For an Information Package containing position description, selection criteria and an employment application, please download above or contact Human Resources via email email@example.com or call 02 4448 0200.
Preferred applicants will also be required to undergo a National Police Check and obtain a new paid employee Working with Children Check (as required by the Act) prior to appointment with South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation.
Salary will be in accordance with the South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation Enterprise Agreement 2019-2022.
In order to keep our staff, clients and community safe, SCMSAC require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.