- 1 x Part Time
- Non-Ongoing Term
- Designated Position*
- Shoalhaven regions
The Aboriginal Mental Health Peer Worker will be required to work as part of the “Next Steps” Suicide Response Team.
14th June 2018
The Aboriginal Mental Health Peer Worker will be required to work as part of the “Next Steps” Suicide Response Team, providing peer support, advocacy and consultation to local Aboriginal people residing in the Shoalhaven at high risk of suicide or following a suicide attempt.
The Program, in Partnership with Grand Pacific Health, Flourish Australia and Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, aims to reduce suicide rates among people residing in the Shoalhaven through improving links to local services, providing complimentary follow up and clinical services including culturally appropriate peer support.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- A sound knowledge of Aboriginal/ Torres Strait Islander communities and relevant organisations within Shoalhaven/ South Coast region.
- Demonstrated lived experience of mental health issues and ability to utilise that experience to support others in accessing and sustaining services
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and ability to provide peer support and advocacy services.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to establish and maintain community, government and non-government partnerships.
- Demonstrated skills in use of common computer programs such as Microsoft office, outlook, and the ability to use client information management systems.
- Knowledge and commitment to principles and practices of Workplace Health & Safety and Equal Employment Opportunity and how they apply in the workplace.
- Current NSW Driver’s License and willingness to travel if required.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and ability to provide theory and evidence based practice to support those experiencing a mental illness or the willingness to undertake further training and development.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL VACANCIES
Applications must address the key competencies (selection criteria): For an Information Package containing position description, selection criteria and an employment application, please contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org or download the documents below. If you have any questions please email us as well.
Preferred applicants will also be required to undergo a National Police Check and obtain a new paid employee Working with Children Check (as required by the Act) prior to appointment with South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation.
Salary will be in accordance with the South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation Enterprise Agreement 2012 – 2015.